Sunday, December 30, 2018

Happy 2018!



2018 has been quite a year. As many of you know, it started with me leaving Pixar after 16 years. Approaching the midpoint of my career, it was time to make a change and explore new horizons, and so I spent the entire year freelancing.

I learned so much from this experience, I learned about working remotely, running a small business, paying for my own health insurance (26k a year for a family of 3 btw). I shifted my work from mostly film to mostly videogame work. My first book “The Story Of Inc” shipped to 500 customers. I started up work on a number of new personal IPs, and resurrected a few older IPs that I feel have potential. I taught a 6 week class in concept art to a local class of art students. And our family asked ourselves a lot of hard questions about where we want to live for the next 10-20 years.

All of these new experiences have given me the confidence and knowledge to move forward with the next stages of my artistic career and life. While it is likely I will do more freelancing at some later point, I will be going back to a staff job in the coming year. I will announce more soon, but I am thrilled to be moving onto an exciting new project with a veteran team of professionals in the videogame industry.

It is time for the next chapter. Thank you so much for following along all these years, expect a lot of new artwork, books and educational materials in the coming year. May your 2019 be filled with positive change and bright new possibilities!

No comments: